Biking is one of the most popular cardio exercises but is not only used to shed fat, but also to keep fit. You will, however, need to be comfortable to make the desired outcomes materialize. A comfortable bike seat is one of the major parts you should enhance to allow for this comfort.
Uncomfortable bike seats could make you never look forward to a biking exercise, be it spinning, indoor cycling or road and mountain cycling, despite having been optimistic about it before. So, how can you make your bike seat more comfortable to make your rides worth the time you allocate them?
1. Adjusting Seat Height and Depth
Exercise bikes have seat adjustment knobs, and in the instance of a peloton bike, L-handles for height and depth adjustment. Use these to your advantage.
Start by sitting on your bike saddle. Try to pedal, and when one of your feet is at its lowest, your leg should only have a slight bend, almost flat. If not, then you need to adjust the height. If your feet had a challenge reaching the pedal at that point, then you should lower the seat height. If your knee was bent, then the seat height should be lengthened.
Loosen the seat by screwing the adjusting knob counterclockwise. Adjust the seat accordingly. Tighten the adjustment knob, and again sit on the bike. Repeat the process of checking the leg position, and if still not satisfied, readjust the seat position. Repeat this until you get the desired effect.
Ensuring the correct bike seat height will save you knee cap pains, in addition to ensuring that you cycle longer and faster.
Your seat should be parallel to your handlebars. Your hands should only slightly bend when you are on the bike, and your body in a lateral position. Adjusting your handles to suit your bike seat will ensure that your bike seat position does not cause you shoulder, arms, and knee injuries.
2. Installing a Bike Seat Cover
Bike seats, in most instances, are made of hard plastic to enhance durability and performance. However, this comes at a cost, as the bike user will have seat injuries after long rides.
Owing to this, you will need a bike seat cover. The seat cover will ensure you get the seat comfort regardless of the duration you take on the bike.
Qualities of a good seat cover are as follows:
- It should be non-slip in the interior so that it says in position without slipping off.
- It should be suitable for your specific bike seat. If your bike is standard, then look for a standard bike seat cover. Wide bike seat covers are available for wide seats. You can check the measurement of your bike seat versus the seat cushions in the market.
- Straps that fix the seat cover to the seat post are an additional feature that enhances its position, other than ensuring that it is perfectly fitting on the saddle.
- It should possess a shock-absorbing aspect, which will prevent the impact of vibration since exercise bike users exercise intensely.
- Breathability of seat covers allows you to remain dry and comfortable despite profuse sweating during spinning and cycling.
Zacro Gel Bike Seat Cover (Amazon) offers you the features a good seat cushion for a standard bike, often used in the peloton and most indoor bikes.
You Can Also See: 8 Best Bike Seat Cushions to Maximize Your Comfort!
3. Using Padded Shorts/ leggings on the Exercise Bike
Other than the bike seat cover, you can opt for padded shorts or leggings. These are biking clothes that have a gel pad on the parts where the body will come into contact with the bike seat.
Like the bike seat cover, they should cushion you from seat injury, hence allowing you to bike longer and even for consecutive rounds without feeling like you are compromising your wellbeing.
You should consider the following when looking for biking shorts or leggings:
- The pair should be padded, to cushion you from the bike seat injury.
- They should have shock-absorbing features so that even your intense spinning will not cause vibration to your body.
- Breathable tights and shorts, often identified by the presence of UPF 50+, ensure you get a breeze from the heat that emanates from highly intense cycling and spinning.
- Moisture absorbent, to give you the dry feeling that one yearns for in the middle of sweaty training.
- Since shorts and leggings are in most cases gender-specific, ensure you get the one that suits your gender.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How high should an exercise bike seat be?
It should be as high as to allow your leg to only slightly bend when it is at its lowest pedal point during cycling.
Do padded leggings cushion the inner thighs from injury?
Most do if the material of the legging prevents friction. It is, however, advisable to take one that guarantees inner thigh protection since it is not a universal feature.
Do exercise bikes come with bike seat cushions?
No, they don’t. You will have to purchase the bike seat cushion separately. Take the measurements of your bike seat so as to get a fitting bike seat cover. Moreover, look for the best features, as stated above, in the bike seat cover you want to purchase to make the experience worth the cost.
Do exercise bikes have a weight limit?
Yes, they do. You have to enquire about the maximum weight an exercise bike can handle before purchasing it, especially if you feel your body weight could be much.
For you to have decided on an exercise bike as workout equipment, cycling must have thrilled you. Do not let this thrill turn into stress due to bike seat issues that can be corrected. Use the above tips to ensure your bike seat gives you the comfort you deserve on your bike. Extra investment to ensure your bike seat improves your biking performance and experience is always worth the cost.
- 9 Best Headphones for Peloton Bike – Buyers Guide
- Best Bike Rack for Subaru Outback (SUVs) In 2020
- The 10 Best Bike Pedal Straps – Are They Really Beneficial?
- 20 Best Peloton Bike Accessories for Comfortable Spinning
- 6 Best Bike Shorts for Peloton | Men’s and Women’s
- 6 Best Exercise Bikes Like Peloton: Peloton Alternatives
- Best Fan for Peloton Bike and Indoor Cycling to Get Cool Air!